Budget Master Bedroom Makeover

What did you do on New Year’s Eve?

We painted our bedroom.

No, I’m not kidding.

We had plans to celebrate with our good friends and then ALL our kids got sick.

I figured if we were stuck in the house we may as well do something fun, so we painted!

After a couple days of decorating we finished our budget master bedroom makeover and I’m so excited to share it with you!

Budget Master Bedroom Makeover--great ideas!

Oh and the best part–it only cost about $30.00!  I’ll share some money saving tricks and the budget breakdown at the end of this post but for now let’s get to the fun part!

Budget Master Bedroom Makeover  Before & After

Before our room was beige, bland, and blah.  The room was screaming for a makeover.

It took me forever to decide on a new wall color.  I wanted a deep blue color, but I didn’t want the room to be as dark as a dungeon.  Six months later, we finally decided on  a color called Thunderhead from Valspar.

We absolutely love it!

As you walk into the room the first thing you see is the new blue paint color and my new gallery wall.

Master Bedroom Gallery Wall.  Love it!

The gallery wall adds a punch of personality to the room without being overwhelming.  Believe it or not, I got the two big frames at Goodwill!  I bought the initials and & symbol and made some artwork out of it.  I love how the frames and initial artwork pop off the paint!

Beautiful gallery wall on a budget The new paint is a rich color full of character and thanks to the white bedding, white doors, and trim the room doesn’t look dark.  We have a huge window that lets in tons of natural light so this room was a great choice for a dark color.

Master bedroom in Thunderhead by Valspar I chose to use lots of bright accessories.  I used yellow, grey, and silver as accent colors.

Add some bright acceesories to balance out a dark paint color on the walls

I’ve had these candle holders for ages so I decided to give them new life and spray paint them silver to make them brighter.  It was the best 10 minute transformation I’ve ever done!

Amazing what a coat of spray paint will do! My in-laws bought me this beautiful big mirror for Christmas.  I can finally get a good view of my outfit before heading out the door!

Use a big mirror to bring more light into a room!

The hubby and I love the feeling this color brings to the room.  The color has a calming effect on us.

Budget Bedroom Makeover.  This had a big impact without spending much!

$30 Budget Master Bedroom Makeover

$30.00 Budget Bedroom Makeover

Master Bedroom Makeover Budget Breakdown:

• New Paint Color: $0 (Thanks to my brother I used gift certificates to purchase the paint)  All of the white paint we used was leftover from other projects.
  • 1 Quality Paintbrush: $7.47 (Good paintbrushes are worth every penny.  They make painting much easier)
  • Mirror: $0 Christmas gift from my hubby’s parents!
  • 2 frames from Goodwill: $3.00 each
  • Initial artwork:  $6.00
  • 2 little signs in gallery wall: already owned
  • I love us sign: I made for free online with PicMonkey and printed it off for $6.59
  • Wedding photo: gift from my Uncle
  • Pillow covers from ElemenOPillows: $0 (I won these from a giveaway!)
  • Spray paint for candle holders: $4.00 (there’s plenty left over for more projects later)

Total project cost: $30.06!  Even if we didn’t have the gift certificate for the paint, the whole makeover would have been under $50.00.

How did we do this so inexpensively?

• Ask for makeover items as gifts.  The big mirror, the paint, and the beautiful wedding photo were all gifts.
  • Reuse items you already have (like the candleholders)
  • Keep an eye out for decor items at Goodwill and customize them to your taste (like the frames)
  • Paint is the biggest bang for your buck transformation item.  Even if all you do is paint the room a different color, that will bring a big change!

So–what do you think?  Did this inspire you to makeover a room in your home?

This post linked to Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Create It Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Link’n Blogs, Awesome Things Tuesday, Inspire Me Please, Serenity Now, Link Party Palooza, Saturday Show and Tell, Get Schooled Saturday, Think Pink Sunday, Inspiration Monday, Give Me The Goods, Tutorials and Tips,  Wine’d Down Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Ladies Only Blog Share, Weekend Wind Down, Project InspiredDIY Sunday Showcase, Family Fun Friday, Create It Thursday, Skip The Housework Saturday, Saturday Show licious, Be Bold Link Party, Share Your Creativity, Motivational Monday, and Moonlight and Mason Jars.

Comments

1. says

A very wise makeover! This is definitely a good example for all those who desire a renovation without spending so much money. I admire the gallery wall, it tells lots of stories. And those pillows are simply beautiful, too. I will surely share this article.
    Catherine Crandall recently posted…A Fresh PerspectiveMy Profile

• says

As a one-income family of four we’ve learned we can still decorate and enjoy our home without breaking the bank! Thanks so much for your encouragement, Catherine!

2. says

I absolutely LOVE this post! We’re moving soon and cannot wait to add some more love to all of our rooms.One room I have always neglected when it comes to decorating, is our bedroom. Armed with this, I can definitely add some life. I especially love the initial art, I *need* to do that in our house. :)
    Jillian @ Baby Doodah! recently posted…Preparing Your Toddler for a MoveMy Profile

• says

I have to say this is one of my favorite posts so far! I’m so glad this is inspiring the decor for your next home! The initial art was super easy and I’ll be posting about how I did that soon so stay tuned!

3. Krissy says

Wow. This post is a livesaver. I literally cry when I walk into my bedroom. I am so ready for a change, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money to do it. Going to pick out paint this week! Just happened to find you on Pinterest and just in time!

• says

Hearing your story really makes my day! I LOVE painting because it makes such a huge change in a room without a lot of money! I hope you really enjoy your new color!

• says

Thank you so much for the feature, Amber! I LOVE linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday so getting a feature there really means a lot! Thanks so much for letting me know!

4. says

Carrie…I bet the two of you had almost as much fun painting as you would have had partying. Well maybe not. ;) The color is fabulous and I love the yellow and silver accents. Isn’t it amazing what paint can do?

Thanks for linking up to Project Inspire{d} — this is a very inspiring project!

Hope your week is extraordinary!
    Diane
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted…Faith is…. | Joy Day!My Profile

• says

Thanks so much Diane! I have to say–I was really bummed out that we didn’t get to hang out with our friends on New Years Eve but it was SO much fun seeing this project get started. Thanks so much for stopping by!

5. says

I love the color ! It looks great .. We didn’t do much either with New Years. I was stuck at home with the kids while hubby was away from work. I like the frame that says I love Us :) and the initials

Yasmina

6. says

Yasmina

• says

It was so much fun repainting and decorating our bedroom. I hope you have fun doing your project in the summer! Thanks so much for stopping by!

• says

We painted our whole house in neutrals when we first moved in and I’m SO sick of them! Give me some color! Glad to see I’m not the only one!

• says

I love that pattern too. I’m really wanting to use bold patterns like that in more of my rooms since it really adds a punch of personality. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah!

7. says

Carrie, your New Year’s sounds about like mine! DIY is the perfect way to spend a night in :). Valspar Thunderhead looks beautiful in your room, and I would love to feature this on my paint color blog, Involving Color. You wouldn’t have to do a thing, just let me know if you’re interested!

• says

You read my mind, Jena! I would absolutely LOVE to be featured on your blog! I was just thinking of your blog last night and thinking I should show you this color since I love it so much. Thanks so much!

8. says

Gorgeous! I feel calm just looking at that wall color. I also love the yellow pillow paired with it (I’m a sucker for mixing warm and cold colors). Everything works really well with this room!

I’ve been looking at all kinds of letter art to put in my own bedroom and I’m the one you did. Pinning for later–thanks for sharing!
    Chelsey recently posted…Why You are NOT a No-Reply BloggerMy Profile

• says

Thank you so much, Chelsey! It’s funny–the initial artwork was a last minute idea that I threw together and I’m so glad with the way it turned out. I’m so happy to hear this inspired you!

9. says

Isn’t paint a wonderful thing!! Stopping in from Inspire me Please party. Love your transformation and I hope everyone is feeling better at your place! Happy New Year!

• says

Thanks so much, Amy! You just take it one project at a time! I can’t imagine how overwhelming it would be to have a whole house to re-decorate! But at least you’ll have a LOT of blog material for the next couple years!

Trackbacks