I’ve seen lots of green smoothie recipes out there lately. They all look great but there’s one problem.
Most smoothie recipes call for a lot of fruit. I have no problems with fruit but it add a lot of calories.
Then I had this thought:
Could I make my own version of a green smoothie with tons of spinach, and lower calories but make it taste awesome?
So I went to work. I tried some different combinations and after lots of experimenting, I found the combination that works.
I may have been so excited that I jumped up and down in my kitchen to celebrate.
Yes I am that dorky!
By the way, BOTH of my
picky eaters kids LOVE this smoothie and beg for more. I’m not joking–here’s the proof:
Have you ever heard a kid beg for something where the main ingredient is spinach?
Me neither. Until I started making this low calorie green smoothie.
Needless to say I’ll be making a lot of these!
Here’s the calorie count:
- One cup banana: 105 calories
- One cup strawberries: 48 calories
- 1.5 TBSP honey: 90 calories
- Light Greek yogurt: 90 calories
- 2 cups spinach: 14 calories
- Baby kale: 10 calories
Each smoothie makes about three servings and totals in 357 calories. Total calories per serving = 119
Let’s be honest. This smoothie is not the prettiest drink. Does it look disgusting? Yes. But trust me–it tastes awesome so the looks are worth ignoring.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 ripe banana, cut in several chunks
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1.5 TBSP honey
- 1 5.3 oz light strawberry Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups baby spinach (packed down into measuring cup)
- 1/2 cup baby kale
- Put ingredients into blender in order.
- Blend for about a minute until all ingredients are blended up. I usually have to stop the blender and push the spinach down towards the bottom to get it to mix in. I do this a couple times until the mixture is all blended up.
- Pour into cups and enjoy a sweet way to eat more veggies!
- This smoothie can be made using different frozen berries. Feel free to make your own version!
Get free instant access to over 50 premium wall art files!
Sign up to receive my BIGGEST collection of printable wall art, all free & available exclusively to subscribers!