I’ve seen lots of green smoothie recipes out there lately. They all look great but there’s one problem.
Most smoothie recipes call for a lot of fruit. I have no problems with fruit but it add a lot of calories.
Then I had this thought:
Could I make my own version of a green smoothie with tons of spinach, and lower calories but make it taste awesome?
So I went to work. I tried some different combinations and after lots of experimenting, I found the combination that works.
I may have been so excited that I jumped up and down in my kitchen to celebrate.
Yes I am that dorky!
By the way, BOTH of my
picky eaters kids LOVE this smoothie and beg for more. I’m not joking–here’s the proof:
Have you ever heard a kid beg for something where the main ingredient is spinach?
Me neither. Until I started making this low calorie green smoothie.
Needless to say I’ll be making a lot of these!
Here’s the calorie count:
- One cup banana: 105 calories
- One cup strawberries: 48 calories
- 1.5 TBSP honey: 90 calories
- Light Greek yogurt: 90 calories
- 2 cups spinach: 14 calories
- Baby kale: 10 calories
Each smoothie makes about three servings and totals in 357 calories. Total calories per serving = 119
Let’s be honest. This smoothie is not the prettiest drink. Does it look disgusting? Yes. But trust me–it tastes awesome so the looks are worth ignoring.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 ripe banana, cut in several chunks
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1.5 TBSP honey
- 1 5.3 oz light strawberry Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups baby spinach (packed down into measuring cup)
- 1/2 cup baby kale
- Put ingredients into blender in order.
- Blend for about a minute until all ingredients are blended up. I usually have to stop the blender and push the spinach down towards the bottom to get it to mix in. I do this a couple times until the mixture is all blended up.
- Pour into cups and enjoy a sweet way to eat more veggies!
- This smoothie can be made using different frozen berries. Feel free to make your own version!
P.S. - If you're a blogger, you HAVE to check out this course! I took it myself and highly recommend it.