Today I have the pleasure of sharing one of my favorite lunch recipes with you. It takes minutes to prepare, it’s packed with whole grains which makes it healthy, and it’s super simple to make.
There’s something about the creamy smoothness of avocado that makes this light meal seem like an indulgence.
Most days I’m at home with my 3 year old and it doesn’t make sense to cook up a huge meal just for the two of us. This is one meal we both can customize to our taste and enjoy together.
I enjoy my seasoned rice with avocados (which is a great source of healthy fats) and he enjoys his with some shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Healthy Seasoned Rice and Avocado
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules (or 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 ripe avocado
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water with a whisk until mostly dissolved.
- Heat water on stove top until boiling.
- Pour rice into water and stir.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove rice from heat and then let it sit covered for another 5 minutes (or until water is absorbed into rice)
- Meanwhile, cut avocado into slices.
- Serve rice hot with avocado slices or your favorite topping and enjoy!
- Customize the rice to your taste! Optional toppings include a little butter or cheese.
What’s your favorite topping on rice?
This post linked to: Creative Spark, Link Party Palooza, Saturday Sharefest, Best DIY Projects and Recipes, Show Me Saturday, The Makers, Work It Wednesday, Thrifty Thursday, The Weekend Re-Treat, I’m Lovin’ It, and Think and Make Thursday.
P.S. - If you're a blogger, you HAVE to check out this course! I took it myself and highly recommend it.